Surgical Errors and Medical Malpractice
Patients should be able to depend on their doctors for appropriate treatment and care.
However, in some cases, health care providers act negligently causing harm to their patients. In Missouri, cases of medical malpractice are not rare. We often read in newspapers about cases where the level of care offered by the doctors fell below reasonable standards, and it either worsened the condition of the patient or caused their death.
Medical Malpractice Involving Surgical Errors
One of the worst forms of medical malpractice cases are those involving surgical errors. Surgeons are supposed to be highly qualified and competent, and there is no room for error in their field. Unfortunately, surgical errors are not uncommon, and many surgeons act negligently and put the lives of their patients in grave danger. Some common surgical errors include:
- Wrong site surgery
- Equipment left inside the patient’s body
- Nerve damage
- Incorrect incision
- Wrong patient surgery
- Anesthesiology errors
Common Effects of Surgical Errors
- It seems quite unbelievable, but there are cases when surgery was performed on the wrong person. Haste and miscommunication are common reasons behind such serious surgical errors. Wrong patient surgery affects more than one patient and may have serious outcomes.
- Another common effect of surgical errors is infection. It may be caused by the inability of the surgeon or hospital staff to maintain proper hygiene during the surgery. There have been cases where unhygienic towels and forceps were left inside the patient’s body, causing serious infectious diseases such as hepatitis.
- Inability to check and control internal bleeding is a common effect of surgical error.
- The most common type of surgery related medical malpractice is poor surgical outcome.
- In some cases, a surgical error may cause damage to the nervous system or internal organs and can lead to serious health complications, paralysis, or even death.
- Surgical errors may necessitate a corrective surgery.
- Surgical errors may cause disfigurement including loss of limbs and scarring.
Why Surgical Errors May Occur
- Inadequate pre-operative planning
Any of the aforementioned reasons may cause a surgeon to act negligently, leading to severe health complications in the patient. If you or your loved one has suffered injury or illness as a result of a surgical error, it is important that you consult with Zevan and Davidson Law Firm at (314) 588-7200 to discuss your case and understand your legal options. Medical malpractice cases are by nature complicated, and you need the services of an expert to gather all the evidence and prepare the case in order to receive compensation for the injury.
Photo credit: www.fotopedia.com via Google
Missouri Medical Malpractice Lawyer
If you have suffered as a result of medical malpractice, contact our legal team right away. Waiting to seek legal representation can prevent you from filing a claim and receiving the compensation you deserve.
Contact Zevan Davidson Roman today.
Next Article >